[AT] High cost of tractor tires

Greg Hass ghass at m3isp.com
Thu Apr 11 15:51:06 PDT 2019

The high cost of tires has caused many older, but good tractors, to be
parked. About 6 years ago our neighbor had a 4 wheel drive Versatile
tractor with a little over 300 hp. Cummins engine. It was an older one,
probably over thirty years old. It did not have all the bells and
whistles, but he said it was good reliable power. One problem; it worked
great for spring tillage but come fall the tires were so worn that in
wetter ground they would spin. He said he priced new tires; couldn't
find used, and they were over $18,000. I'm guessing this may have been
tires and duals as he never ran singles. He said this was more than the
tractor was worth so during the winter he bought a newer and a little
bigger Versatile and was going to keep the old one for a backup. Sadly,
before he could carry out his plan, he died at age 59. His two sons took
over the farm that spring and sold the tractor with the bad tires and
just use the newer one with good tires  and bought a used front wheel
assist to do some of the lighter work.
          Greg Hass