[AT] OT High cost of tractor tires

James Peck jamesgpeck at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 14 18:59:57 PDT 2019

The Amish around where I grew up mostly had IH tractors that had originally been made on steel.  They were only used for belt power, no field work. The father of the Amish boy in my first grade class got a Farmall M and put it on steel in the early 60's.  We understood that he was heard plowing at night when other Amish would not see him and rat him out.

That boy, Eli, Yanked over in middle age so he could become a high school sports coach.

[ Steve W.] That was one of the items that they do to reduce road damage from steel, not so much for ride quality.

[HERBERT METZ ] The Amish farm tractors that I have seen in Lancaster, PA area that  are on steel have heavy duty built in coil springs system in each rear  wheel.  Probably much smoother ride than 'no springs' but not  comparable to pneumatics.