[AT] Cold snap

John Hall jtchall at nc.rr.com
Fri Jan 19 13:53:50 PST 2018

Larry, I think it comes from folks donating stuff with the intention of
the general public being able to enjoy it. Unfortunately a lot of
museums accept donations of items knowing full well they can not
properly care for them, exhibit them, or even store them out of the
weather. Those items would be better preserved selling to collectors,
even if the price is minimal. I have personally seen museum warehouses
full of stuff they can't properly display and the general public never
gets to see. Also, I have seen them place good items out for yard art
where they soon rotted away to nothing. To do either of these is to
disrespect the hobby/collection in my opinion.

A great example of how a LARGE collection should be done is the
Wisconsin Historical Society--IHC collection. It is my understanding the
collection was donated by the McCormick family with enough money to care
for and catalog it so John Q Public gets benefit from it

https://www.wisconsinhistory.org/Records/Article/CS3364

To sum it up,  I recently sold my dads grain binder. I must have priced
it too low as it sold FAST, and I had about 3-5 more in line to get it.
At the same time, I had enough money on it that the guy carried it
straight home and put it under a shed on concrete. He was "invested" in
it so he was going to take care of it.

John Hall