[AT] Ralph

Alan Nadeau ajnadeau1 at myfairpoint.net
Mon Jan 1 13:04:46 PST 2018

It has been below zero every morning for most of the past week now here in
NW Vermont, usually accompanied by some fairly nasty W or NW winds to put a
little bite in it..

I didn't used to mind winter all that much but over the past ten years or so
I am finding it way less tolerable.

I hope it warms up before we get any huge amount of snow.  We have a New
Holland 3930 at the shooting club I belong to.  I has an Alo loader on it,
wicked heavy built, it carries an 8' snow bucket during the winter. Right
now it also suffers from a frozen control cable on the loader spool which
serves to curl/dump the bucket.  The cables were new right around a year ago
and that one seems to have gotten moisture in it and is now frozen.  I can't
see any way water could have gotten in there as the control ends are inside
the cab and the valve ends are under the valve body and attached with what I
think should be very well enclosed connections.  There are a bunch of small
fasteners that have to be removed to get the cable off, not something I want
to fuss with at the current temperatures.  With the wind we get up there
there isn't any obvious way to wrap a tarp around the work area and set a
kerosene fired warm wind blowing under it.

Not an antique tractor, somewhere around 1997 manufacture, by any means but
it did replace an early 70s Ford 4000. It also suffers from the same puny
hydraulic system the 4000 had, 7 GPM.  Deeres from that era were 12-15 GPM
on that size (52 hp) tractor.  The loader has plenty of muscle but it seems
to take forever to run a load up to full height.