[AT] 430V

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 08:03:34 PDT 2017

I think one reason "rocking" a wheel sometimes works is that you are
working both directions. Ever have a tooth pulled? The dentist doesn't just
place a steady pull on a tooth and pull until your jaw pulls out of your
mouth (even though it may feel that way). He grabs the tooth and yanks it
one way and back the other. Back and forth. The travel of the wheel made up
of all of the minor play in all of those gears allows a small amount of
impact first one way then the other.
My point being that I think it is a mistake to keep trying to force the
piston in only one direction. In the case of Steve's wedges for example it
would be nice to be able to reverse that force and maybe move the piston
back a smite (technical term  :-)  ) even if it was only a near microscopic
amount. One factor to consider I would think is that I think that the push
Steve is showing would maybe be less likely to cause any damage than
pulling it back might cause. More strength in compression than in tension?
Of course trading a stuck piston for a block crack isn't much of an
improvement so use a lot of discretion. I'm sure you will...

Steve... Am I thinking right that when rocking one wheel  you lose half of
the force advantage because of the differential gearing and the other wheel
being stationary?

Our dog and I have been discussing the possibility of multiple universes
this morning and my head was hurting already. She has some interesting
thought on the matter but I still think she is wrong...
:-)

.