[Farmall] obsolete parts

Ivan ivancou at atlanticbb.net
Sat Sep 9 16:09:56 PDT 2017

John ,   it is a spline coupler that goes between the wheel gear boxes
,then each side is driven by a hydraulic motors.   5/8 bore x 2 " long
12 teeth . odd size . You're right , not that hard to machine with right
tools.    Our shops around here are more steel fabrication with
brake,shear, cnc plasma burner maybe a cnc mill . I tell them where I
got my schooling with Navy experience  and job offers become the subject
.  A edm would make it easy along with a cnc mill to cut the electrode .
The coupler body could be made from a piece of dom tubeing .   Could be
done on a lathe with a simple indexing jig and single tool bit . Slow
but doable . Edm would be slick , and I have a schematic for a homeade
one . My lathe is a well used south bend @ 1924 or so . Mill is one of
those chinese mill drills  as is my rotary table . I could probably make
a crude rendition of one . My first thought was to get a local shop to
make me a broach on a cnc mill and harden it (drill rod) then broach it
on a press . Probably wouldnt work too well unless I could get someone
with a tool grinder or surface grinder and index head to sharpen it .
  Where I went to school they had one and if my old teacher was still
there I know he would get a senior to do it as a shop project . Back
then the shop was all manual tools but well equiped .   I could try
calling and talking to his replacement to see if he would have someone
that could do it . But schools around here are near impossable to get
into unless you get on the approved list . I do have the clearances .  Ivan