[AT] A day off

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Mon Oct 9 20:17:32 PDT 2017

Thanks for the memories.  I think the first time I was ever allowed to driver a tractor was when the men were loading Oats bundles, taken from standing shock's on to a bundle wagon. I was tasked with keeping the tractor alongside the row of shocks aa the men loaded the bundles on the wagon.  No stopping or starting just a measured speed at which the men could keep up. I think I was allowed to not only steer but to change the throttle as needed to keep the proper pace.  I do not know now how old I was at the time but I suspect it was well under 10 years of age. I do remember not being able to stop as I wasn't strong enough to pull the clutch lever and my feet would not reach the brake pedals. But I knew how to turn corners as necessary and the land was relatively flat. I suspect I was kind of slow turning around but that gave the men a little break. I'm thinking 6 or 7 yr's old maybe. I was on top of the world on that tractor and had come of age. My Mother told of an instance where she was driving a tractor in the barn yard,  she never did so I don't know why she was, and was inadvertently headed into a haystack and panicked. I guess I was between her legs on the tractor and somehow had the wherewithal to pull the clutch. I have no recollection of this so I had to be quite young.

Dean VP
Snohomish, WA 98290