[AT] OT modern computer controlls (please delete now if you don't like the topic)

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Sun Mar 26 06:42:47 PDT 2017

I took my TS110 New Holland to the New Holland dealer.  The engine had
swallowed a valve, but I first thought the drive plate behind the
flywheel had shattered.  $3200 later they called and told me I had a
valve dropped through the piston.  I told them to bolt it back together
and I would pick it up.  $4000 bill as it was $800 more to bolt on the
manifolds and hood.  They lost my hood bracket ( $175)  and bolts ( hood
only had 1 bolt holding it).   Broke the fuel inlet pipe in the fuel
tank so I have to bleed the system every time I sit longer than 1 hour.
Broke the sediment bowl ($48 glass bowl), and broke the windshield (
$1100, they replaced it, but left glass in every crevice in the cab). I
may have posted this before, but I will not pay a dealer to learn how to
work on my equipment.

I had a good mechanic for a while to work on my vehicles.  Last time he
charged me $850 to replace a A/C compressor to stop a "click"when
running, and it was the flywheel plate broken.  Some thing he should
have caught when he changed engines for me 4 months earlier.  I would
have been stranded if I had continued to drive it.  I cannot walk more
than 50 ft at a time, so being stranded with a vehicle is not a good
situation.  This guy was a disabled veteran appeared to do good work at
first, and talked a very good game.  He just kept hiring additional
mechanics and getting bigger.  I spent over $4000 with him on my 2000
F-150 4wd.  The most expensive pickup I have ever owned.  I now work on
my own vehicles again, if it takes 2 days to do a 2 hour job, so be it!
When I retired I noticed that mechanic work took much longer.  It's
because I now take the extra time to repair or replace instead of fixing
it to get  going again.

Cecil in OKla