[AT] Deere 4020 oil leak

John Hall jtchall at nc.rr.com
Tue Mar 7 18:34:11 PST 2017

You'd think an oil leak would be obvious regarding its source. Well I
have one that isn't.  I'm trying to trace it down but so far no luck.
Figured I would toss it out to the list to see if anyone here has ever
ran across such. The worst part is you need to be familiar with this
machine, maybe 4010, 3020's etc are built the same way. I'm getting
hydraulic oil dripping off the bottom of the air filter. The oil appears
to be getting on the clamp that holds the dust bowl on, running down and
dripping off the bowl on to the area between the radiator and fuel tank,
then running and dripping on a front tire (tricycle front end). I
figured it was a line or something going to the oil cooler which is
mounted right beside the air filter. Pulled the hood off and everything
looks dry. Can't find a leak anywhere. Nothing appears to be spraying
oil either. Its too clean to be engine oil, and does not appear to be
diesel or anti-freeze. It leaked enough when I parked it last night that
it ran all the way down the face of the tire. I left it in the shop
tonight to see what is going on. Anyone ever heard of such a problem?

John Hall