[AT] new duties

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Tue Jul 11 16:14:40 PDT 2017

All of mine have fallen down Spencer.  It would have been nice to keep them
but
they just weren't worth the maintenance cost.  Even the old "pack house"
barn,
that was originally a cotton gin building and was well over 100 years old
fell
about 15 years ago when a freak wind storm lifted the roof off of it.  It
had withstood
many hurricanes.  I wasn't there so I don't know if it was tornado or just a
combination
of age and a hard gust that got it in the end.

I think the real barns here in my area were properly named barns.  There
weren't many because
of the kind of farming we did.  The tobacco barns were almost always
addressed with the word tobacco
ahead of barn to distinguish it.  The pack houses meet the definition of a
barn because they were generally
two story with doors on both ends of both floors.

Dairy barns were usually referred to as "dairy barns" in the same manner as
"tobacco barns".

We have one small "barn" at our farm that was built from cement blocks in
the late 50's
It has one bay to store a tractor in and two rooms, one room intended to be
a shop and the other
a smoke "house".  We never called it a barn.  It was always referred to and
still is as a "shelter".
It was built with dirt floors but when I was in high school I earned the
money and paid to have
a concrete floor poured as my FFA project.  If I don't get over there and do
some work to it, it won't be
around many more years either.  The roof needs painting and an oak tree is
growing up right against one
corner and threatening the block work.

Charlie