[AT] new duties

Spencer Yost yostsw at atis.net
Tue Jul 11 14:38:39 PDT 2017

I had never thought of this before, but now that you folks mentioned it I  hear  inconsistencies when the word "barn" is used, too.  Where I am from in western Pennsylvania, seems that only buildings with hay mows and designed for animals are called barns.  Places were you milk, or where pigs farrow (sp?) , are called parlors.  Everything else seems to be a shed, or building (i.e. saddle building where you keep tack).

But here in the south, any outbuilding with an agricultural purpose can  be called a barn but not every one of them is necessarily called a barn.  In fact it seems to have more to do with design(i.e. open on one side is always a shed) than anything else.   But then again, if the open side had an overhang it might still be a barn. :-) it gets very confusing.  At any rate, not long after I moved down here I learned to wait for the owner to put a name on it before I did.  (-;

PS: An old-school, honest to God flue-cured tobacco barn is about 800 feet from my house. If any of you want to see a picture of it let me know.  I can't get inside, because the property was recently sold to distant owners, but I can get a picture of the outside of it.  Old tobacco barns are getting pretty scarce. Between falling down and getting torn down there's very few left.

Spencer Yost