[AT] new duties

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Sun Jul 9 11:37:53 PDT 2017

A lot of the tobacco barns (flue cured) when I was a child were "four room"
barns and they were either 16 x 16 or 16 x 20.  Then as farmers got tractors
and bigger tractors and  could farm more acreage they became 5 room barns
and were usually 20 x 20.  I've seen a couple of six room barns.  A "room"
being
a division inside the barn that is 4 feet wide delineated by "tier poles"
which
were wooden poles and then later rough cut 2 x 6's with a spacer between
them to
make a beam 20' long by about 5" or 6" wide.  These poles run from one end
of the
barn to the other delineating the rooms and there are usually 6 of them
spaced about
(whew I'm guessing now, I never measured) a bit over 2' apart vertically.
Then there was
usually one or two "wind beams" in the top that are what you would call
rafter ties in a house.
They were short "tier poles" in the roof of the barn.  The tobacco was tied
or looped in bunches
of 5 or 6 leaves on 1" x 1" X 5' long "sticks".  The sticks were originally
hand split out of pine but
later were sawed in specialized saw mills.  These sticks, once draped with
bunches of tobacco
were hung on the poles about 6 to 8" apart.  They were hung by two guys.
One standing on the bottom
tier pole and one usually standing on the 4th tier pole.   There was a big
burner or several small Burners
in the floor of the barn and the heat from them rose up through the tobacco
to cure it.  A process that takes
generally one week.  It starts at about 100 degrees with the ventilators on
the ridge of the barn closed
and once the leaves are uniformly yellow it is increased gradually during
the week to a high of 160 to 180
degrees until the tobacco is golden brown and the stems are no longer soft.

Then in the 70's I guess someone invented a "bulk barn" which John mentioned
as being a metal barn
about 8' x 10'h x 30+ feet long.  Actually there were a few stick built bulk
barns but they didn't hold up
well.  In these barns the leaves were basically packed together in racks or
boxes with wire mesh sides
and the hot air was forced in under the floor from the back end of the barn
and exhausted out the other end and/or
through the roof.

I was looking at some bulk tobacco barns yesterday and at the farmer hauling
the tobacco leaves.  They how have long
trailers.  I guess 30 feet or so, with live floors (conveyor belt).  I'm not
sure how they unload them but I suspect they
unload directly into the boxes OR into some new sort of bulk barn I'm not
familiar with.  One farm I passed had more than
I could count but at least 30 barns, maybe 40 or 50.  Each of those barns
can handle about 10 acres of tobacco if they are
harvesting a few leaves at a time like we used to.  So you can assume that
guy was tending 300 to 500 or maybe more acres
of tobacco.  There is a road that is 3 miles long that starts at one corner
of our farm.  When I was a boy at least 10 families
made a living farming anywhere from 4 to 12 acres each of tobacco.  The
process of harvesting took about 6 weeks and required
about 12 to 14 people per day to harvest 2 to 3 acres a day.  That is
removing  about 4 to 5 leaves per  week starting with
the leaves from the bottom and working to the top.  The higher on the plant
the more valuable the leaves.

Now there is one farmer on that whole road.  There are only about 5 or so,
maybe 10 tobacco farmers now in the whole county.  Looking at
that live floor trailer yesterday, I'm guessing that 5 men can harvest
probably 20 acres a day using a mechanical harvester, those
trailers and bulk barns.  Of course that is depending on how they harvest.
Now days a lot of the farmers spray the whole crop
with a chemical to induce "ripening" of the leaves and harvest the whole
stalk at once instead of a few leaves at a time.  Doing it
that way those same 5 men (or women) could probably do about 5 to 10 acres a
day.  There are some economies of scale in it
but the quality of the tobacco suffers.  I'm guessing on the amounts but
it's a somewhat educated guess.

There's a lot more to it that I've written but I've probably confused
everyone by now and it won't get any better if I go on.
Not that you fellows can't understand but because I'm rambling.

Charlie