[AT] CA. landscape a couple years later

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Wed Jan 25 19:58:16 PST 2017

Have been to the Tulare show a few times and the Brooks Oregon show several
times over the last 15 years or so.  The show is along our route home from
AZ to WA but is in the middle or late April which causes us to get home too
late in the Spring... Last year it took me two weeks of solid mowing to get
the 5 acres of lawn beat back down to where the hired help could keep it
under control while I had knee replacement surgery.  Have decided that
getting back home that late in April is just too much work and too hard on
the equipment.  My JD 425 really took a beating last year getting the lawn
under control to the point that the head gaskets started leaking which is
not good on a water cooled engine, the surfaces warped and I attribute it to
not only age but the extra ordinary stress I put the JD 425 through last
spring. So no more of that and that causes us to have to miss the Tulare
show from now on.

The Tulare, CA show is quite different than the Brooks, Or show. Each has
its unique features. The one thing I remember the most about Tulare is how
spread out it is.  My old legs just cannot handle all the walking so the
last few years I have used a Butt Buggy of some type to get around at the
show.   The tractors displayed are obviously influenced by what is used in
the San Joaquin valley.  And there is a huge amount of Hit and Miss engines
along with a significant display of Holt and Cat track machines. A huge swap
meet area as well as an auction on Saturday where some real bargains can be
had.  Did run into and talk to Fellow ATIS member Grant Brians at the last
Auction where he purchased a tractor.

Here are pictures I took at the 2016 Tulare show:

http://public.fotki.com/deanvp/tractor_shows/2016/tulare-ca/

The Brooks, OR show is larger in quantity and variety  of items on display.
Steam traction engines, Older ag tractors I have not seen at other shows,
several hundred tractors, car museum, truck museum, Fire Engine Museum,
Trains  Logging Museum, Cat museum and John Deere replica Dealership.
Hundreds of engines big and small.  Huge swap meet. It is by far the largest
and most exhaustive old iron show in the NW part of the US.  Called the
Great Oregon Stem[-Up. Have met many ATIS members there.

Here are pictures I took at the 2016 Great Oregon Steam Up show:

http://public.fotki.com/deanvp/tractor_shows/2016/brooks-or-great-ore/

Dean VP
Apache junction, AZ

It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.