[AT] Northern California flooding and tractors (mine!)

Grant Brians sales at heirloom-organic.com
Thu Jan 12 18:22:51 PST 2017

I posted this to the list at 8:27AM PST this morning but apparently it
did not post. As an update, I was inspecting our fields midday and we
went from 150 Acres flooded down to now about 20 Acres....

With this week's storms here, yesterday I had about 150 acres under
water at depths of up to 5-6 feet. I did lose Winter Spinach and other
crops in the flooding, but fortunately have plantings in our mountain
valley location as well of most items that were lost so my customers and
cash flow are not lost completely. Unfortunately my workers did not do
what I told them to do in one regard and we have two tractors that are
in a deeply flooded area and I will not know for several weeks I am sure
how much I will have to do to "dry them out".
      Luckily, both are tall tractors with zero electronics and if the
air cleaners did not allow water into the diesel engines they should be
relatively easily repaired. They are one of my 1970s AC185s and my 1994
Ford New Holland 5030.
      Apparently all of the news helicopters taking footage of the
flooding might have been on National TV news. I'm going to find out....
Here is a link to part of the story and pictures of the flooding....

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/california/Crews-Rescue-22-People-From-Rising-Creek-Near-Hollister-410392745.html

This story does not cover other areas that I have that are flooded. I
was watching whitecaps yesterday on three fields here on our primary
ranch in the 50 plus acres flooded here. The creek had overflowed and
was flowing across our neighbor's ranch and through our place and toward
San Felipe Lake downstream.
      I think we may have significantly recharged the aquifer locally
this winter.... We are not planting vegetables in the fields this week
either....
             Grant Brians - Hollister,California wet farmer of
vegetables, edible flowers, nuts and fruits