[AT] threshing day

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Sun Jan 8 19:03:24 PST 2017

On 1/8/2017 8:13 PM, Herb Metz wrote:
> I worked two summers for an uncle in central and western KS; he had an early
> model IHC self-propelled combine with manual transmission.  Our speculation
> was IHC used a gearbox from an M Farmall and most of the time the gear you
> were using was either too fast or too slow.  Massey introduced that variable
> drive during that time.  Uncle had converted to bomber tires because they
> provided a smoother ride.
> The next year he bought an AC Gleaner; don't know what transmission they
> used. Herb(GA)
Yes, Massey with their variable drive and Cockshutt's drive-o-matic were
a big step forward in flexibility
compared to straight gears and clutch drive. Dad's 60 (like Cecil's 90)
had no clutch pedal. Just the lever
to push forward to tighten the variable pulley  hydraulically . I can't
imagine trying to park it in the shed
inches from the wall as I do with the newer stuff.

Ralph in Sask.