[AT] threshing day

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Sun Jan 8 19:10:28 PST 2017

On 1/8/2017 8:24 PM, joehardy at epix.net wrote:
> Ralph, THANK YOU so much for this harvesting film! Enjoyed looking at all the older trucks and older equipment in operation. I have a Massy Harris 55 combine that I have used on our farm. Haven't used it in about 15 years but hope to use it again some day before I have to give it up. It used a canvas conveyor that fed into the machine which I liked because it allowed me to harvest most of my buckwheat. Whenever I combined oats that also contained weed seed, I'd spread the oats /weed seed mixture about 8" thick on the barn floor and turned it over with a shovel every few days for about a week. Then I would run it thru a Clipper seed cleaner before it was stored in our granary. I'd hire the neighbor boys to help. In fact, not long ago, one of those "boys" who is now grown up asked me that he would like to do that again in the future. I don't know it that will ever happen again. Memories! I often thought what positive impact I made on all those neighbor kids as they worked with me around the farm. To my knowledge, all turned out to be hard working good American citizens.  GOD bless America!    Joe Hardisky Ryman Farm, Dallas, PA
Glad you enjoyed the film Joe. I was always crazy about those red
painted Masseys as a kid and one of my earliest toys was the Matchbox
Massey 780 Special combine. In fact I still have it
although it shows signs of heavy use.
I have never heard of your number 55 Massey combine. The one I recall
with a canvas draper header was (I think) the number 21. Mid to late
fourties production. That was the model
made famous by the Harvest Brigade of WWII.
http://ag-museum.mb.ca/artifacts/general-machinery/combines/massey-harris-model-21-combine/

Ralph in Sask.