[AT] CA. landscape a couple years later

Richard Walker richardwalker at pobox.com
Thu Jan 5 23:22:36 PST 2017

> Richard, Couple(?) years ago your area in southern CA. was severely
> impacted from flooding rains after loosing much area vegetation to
> earlier forest fires; much of your area was experiencing huge
> mudslides. Hopefully a large portion of that is now behind you? Herb(GA)

Good to hear from you, Herb.  Still remember that enjoyable meeting with
you and your wife for lunch at the Tulare show many years ago along with
Don Bowen and Karl Olmstead.  Can't remember if Grant Brians wandered by
or not.

Fire burned directly west of our property in April 2013 and came very
close to our house.  Then during every hard rain in the following years,
torrents of mud flowed down a burned out draw canyon to our north, which
drastically impacted our neighbors.  I helped out doing clean up on
neighboring properties using my old tractors, little skid steer, and
small dump truck.  Whenever it got too much for me to handle, the
neighbor to the west (a grading/excavating contractor) would bring over
his larger equipment.  We've gone through five or six cycles of this in
the last three years, which gets old real fast.  And yes, you're right,
after three years much of the loose spoil has already washed down, the
hillsides are getting scoured, vegetation is starting to grow back, and
with the latest rains there is much less mud runoff.

However Judy and I bailed from CA this September (for many other reasons
beyond just wildfires and mud), and are now living in Oregon.  If you
ever might make it out to the Brooks show, definitely give me a holler.

(Ob. old tractor photos attached}

Richard