[AT] Farm flooding update California - new info

Grant Brians sales at heirloom-organic.com
Sun Feb 5 06:23:32 PST 2017

Charlie, I know what you are talking about in regards to roads causing
flooding, habitat damage and farm destruction. In the 1940's the "best
practice" pushed by the Army Corps of Engineers and also the engineering
schools changed to raise all roads to avoid infrastructure damage to the
roads. This was a continuation of the old (pre-Crimean war) practice of
British Army engineering to allow for "all-weather troop
transportation". The British learned in Afghanistan in the 19th century
that that practice did not work in many places and modified their
practices where they had knowledge that it would cause problems.
      Unfortunately, thanks to the rejection of "primitive" technologies
by our country in the 20th century and a demand like the all-weather
troop transport mandate for automobile and truck availability of roads
regardless of weather or conditions, Civil Engineers started the raised
road above the highest flood elevation practice. While in practice this
is not cost-effective, on paper and in terms of lowering complaints
about closed roads it seemed to make sense. This was never mandated on
the states by the federal government unless the Army Corps of Engineers
was involved in the project.
      Whatever a person's opinion of the EPA, that agency has been a big
factor in changing the practices by states and counties to damage
less.... Also, some engineering schools started to pay attention to
damage analyses from road embankments a bit more and stopped teaching
the necessity of all raised above floodplain roads using cheapest
materials - usually the soils near the construction site. Environmental
analysis of projects has improved many of them and substantially
decreased collateral damage. The key is pairing analysis with a
combination of common-sense and political savvy to sell the best
solutions rather than the apparently short term cheapest.
                 Grant Brians