[AT] Farm flooding update California - new info

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Sat Feb 4 16:36:37 PST 2017

Dave wrote:
> I'm a bit confused here. Can someone please explain how the flood
> happened “because of neglect on the part of the state.” Thanks! Dave

The creek that flooded in my area is a NYS protected trout stream. They
refused to allow anyone into the area to remove downed trees or
blockages that occurred after the major storms that went through the
area in the previous years. The state would not grant cleaning permits
or any other access because they didn't want the "native rainbow and
brook trout habitat disturbed".  Didn't seem to matter that there were
NO native trout in the stream and that the only ones in there came from
overflows and stocking from the fish hatchery owned by NY near the
headwaters of the creek.

This was proven in court by people who brought suit against the state
environmental agencies. NYSDEC was even nailed to the wall by the
Governor for their actions, and he's a first class asshole when it comes
to helping anyone in upstate.

stick 42.916833, -74.781580  into google maps and you can see some of
the creek as it is today. The marker should pop up with two fields. The
field to the northwest was completely submerged and had a 20 foot wide
channel cut in it, the dark area was part of it, they didn't fill that
all in because it is partly on the states right of way for the road. The
second field east of that was hit in a diagonal cut across the southern
tip. Both were filled and then covered with 1' of good screened topsoil.

--
Steve W.