[AT] Old tractors and old men

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Sat Feb 4 14:32:07 PST 2017

I'm 66 now and according to my doctors and all the tests
I'm in good shape.  Blood and urine work all looks good.
No severe prostate problems yet, etc. but my legs are giving
me a fit.  Doc tells me my knees are far enough gone to replace
yet but they are a bit unstable and grind at times.  My right hip
is hurting me.  My ankles have been bad since I tore them up
playing football as a kid.  All of that together along with the stress
and inactivity of looking out for my mom for two years until her death
have turned me in to an aching,  out of shape  old man.  I have been
cleared by my doctors and a physical therapist to go to the gym and
try to get back in shape and I'm going to do that soon.  luckily my
insurance
will pay for most of the cost of that through a program called Silver and
Fit.
Others may have access to another program called Silver Sneakers.
My urologist did a CT scan of my kidneys and bladder recently.  He didn't
find
any problem there other than benign prostate hyperplasia but he did notice
that
I have some deteriorating discs in my lower back so I guess I need to be
careful
at the gym.

Speaking of farming.  As sad as I am that my mom is now gone on, I always
thought
that when that day came I'd be free to do something different with our small
farm.
I wanted to try farming some sweet potatoes, pumpkins, water melons, and
veggies for
sale at a road side stand.  I have almost all the equipment I need to do it
and I even
have irrigation equipment left over from our tobacco farming days.  However,
I just don't
have the drive and motivation to do it now.  I also thought at this age I'd
be able to restore
my tractors and old trucks but I don't have much enthusiasm for that either.

Oh well.  At least I'm on the green side of the grass.

Charlie