[AT] For Dave R

John Hall jtchall at nc.rr.com
Sun Feb 19 19:10:45 PST 2017

  I know, this is a tractor list, but I have a soft spot for flywheel
engines as well. I bought this sometime around 89/90. I only owned it
for a few hours. Long story short, it was owned by a scrapper--he
brought it in while demolishing and ancient service station--the kind
with the glass top gas pumps. Anyway, he said he would sell it for $100.
I looked the engine over and knew I did not have the money or skills (at
that time anyway) to resurrect this one. The fuel mixer was gone,
ignition system was non-exisitent, it was locked up solid (and a
headless design). I met a fellow at the Denton, NC show selling a whole
bunch of 1 1/2 hp Deeres. I was telling him about it and he told me if I
would take him to it I could have any of those Deeres he had for a
finders fee--Seemed a good deal since he was selling them for $300.
About a week later the deal was done and the big engine (Olds) was his
and a Deere was mine. The fellows name was Don Batten from somewhere
down in Georgia. Last I heard he got it restored--had to source a fuel
mixer from Canada. I really wish I had this engine now, but am glad to
say even back then I had enough respect for the hobby to keep this thing
from getting tossed in a load of scrap iron. I doubt there a more than a
few of this engine out there--probably the most rare find I will ever
have. If anyone knows of it, I'd love to contact the current owner.

John Hall