[AT] now Power Steering

Greg Hass ghass at m3isp.com
Thu Dec 28 13:26:22 PST 2017

Another "cheap" idea that might work is the  power assist cylinder from
an earlier 303 IH combine. The later ones used a completely different
system. One end of the cylinder mounts to the frame of the combine ( or
in this case the tractor) and the other end fastens to the steering rod.
A internal valve controls the cylinder and gives you power assist. It
could run off the tractor or would probably work best with an old car or
pickup power steering pump. I'm always amazed at the things people
figure out. A few years ago I was at a tractor show and there was a
Farmall A with  a front blade. The plain A's had no hydraulic at all and
no extra pulleys to run a pump, but this guy figured it out. He had
replaced the generator with an alternator. This is the part that amazed
me. He put on an alternator the ran with a double pulley. There was only
one belt to run the alternator but he used the other grove in the pulley
to run a power steering pump to lift the blade. An idea I would have
never thought of.
        Greg Hass