[AT] Stationary engine cylinder oilers

Henry Miller hank at millerfarm.com
Sat Aug 12 18:03:59 PDT 2017

I finally took it apart today. Good
Thing, there was a quarter inch of junk in the bottom blocking the holes
so no oil could get through. Of course I didn't have a replacement
gasket so the bowl leaks oil out fast, but I can tell something is
getting down, and I think it is reaching the cylinder. It seems to be
dripping way too fast, but since most of the oil is leaking onto the
engine I don't care. Once I get a gasket (and recommendations?) I'll
worry about it.

First order of business today was the cooling system. I don't know how
it was intended to be filled, but I removed the top pipe and put a hose
into the engine. The drain was opened, but nothing came out. I spent an
hour trying various things to get the junk out. When I finally got a
clear steam of water onto the ground I filled the engine until water
came out the top of the radiator. Turns out there is an overflow on the
radiator (probably to prevent pressure explosions when things get hot).
I put a bottle of cooling system cleaner in as well.

Once the above was taken care of a little gas and crank it over. I made
the mistake of using the crank, and not pulling it off when the engine
fired... I'm glad I can reach the kill switch from the other side,
seeing the crank spinning was a little scary. Next try and drove it
around the house twice. The tractor was obviously designed for kids, I
can drive it but it is cramped.

Video here. https://youtu.be/FZ9kXL9Bzws

Soon after the video I decided it was too loud so I put a muffler that I
had laying around on. Much better though still loud.

Then my son came outside so I let him drive. A 4 year old is a little
too small, but in first gear and low throttle it is hard that slow... I
needed to let that cleaner circulate so I was happy to let him drive for
probably an hour. I didn't let him out of the front yard as that is the
only level part of the yard. He was happy to drive his sister's tractor
(apparently the John deere is his, and this is his little sister's)

I took the glass fuel bowl off the pearl and cleaned a quarter inch of
junk out of that. No fuel comes out when I turn the gas on so I suppose
I'll  have to clean that tank.

I drained the fuel tank on the John deere. Varnish. Then I felt inside
the drain hole and there is a lot of junk so pulling that tank is also
on my todo list.

With one running tractor I'm very happy with today though.

--
  Henry Miller
  hank at millerfarm.com

On Sat, Aug 12, 2017, at 02:55 PM, Doug Tallman wrote