[AT] You can't fix stupid-naming names

Stephen Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 06:47:33 PDT 2017

This might be slipping off onto a tangent, but, I'm thinking that some part
of the problem with finding the right parts on ANY site is the
proliferation of features and trim packages in modern vehicles.  Case in
point, I needed mud flaps for my new F-250.  I got on the Ford website and
linked from there to the genuine accessories page.  There, I was confronted
by literally a dozen options (well OK that counts front and rear) and then
I tried the parts fiche to see what the factory was installing on those
models where mud flaps are standard equipment.  That gave me another four
part numbers, front and rear, with and without "wheel lip moldings" - which
took me a another minute to figure out, they're talking about wheel WELL
molding/trim.  So I have to pick two part numbers out of sixteen.
Eliminate DRW, eliminate wheel lip moulding, and after about 45 minutes I
finally hit the Checkout button with lingering trepidation.

And that's Ford's own site.  I can't imagine how an aftermarket outfit like
Rock Auto or any of the others can possibly keep it simple and
straightforward for the 30+ different manufacturers selling in North
America.

SO