[AT] OT Cadillac Northstar engine

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Fri Sep 30 14:09:15 PDT 2016

Cecil Bearden wrote:
> Charlie:
>
> This 98 Caddy is what I would call Mint condition.   It must have been
> kept in a temperature controlled garage.  A non-smoker, and no wear on
> the seats.  70K miles.  I am going to keep it, and find another one for
> parts to fix my MIL's car.  Thanks to Steve W. for his info.  I had just
> about decided the Northstar Performance kit was the only way to go.
> The time factor is what is the big problem.   I just have to get the
> shop cleaned out and go to work.  It is about #23 down the list to get
> repaired.
>
> Cecil in OKla

The engine is actually a great design just a couple areas of bad
execution. Capable of a LOT more power.
Just that the thin block deck thickness combined with the small bolts
with fine threads and having the bottoms open to hot acidic coolant to
hold the heads down was a dumb idea.

That and locating the starter inside the engine!!!

--
Steve W.