[AT] no exhaust gasket?

John Hall jtchall at nc.rr.com
Sun Sep 4 06:08:11 PDT 2016

Not tractor but old combine. My Deere 3300 with a 219 gas engine has an
exhaust leak. It is where the exhaust pipe attaches to the manifold.
This is accomplished by means of a very heavy cast elbow bolted directly
to the manifold with 3 bolts. There was no sign of any gasket. Me nor
the parts guys at Deere can find a gasket in either the engine or the
combine parts books. There best parts guy at the local store (I highly
respect his ability) suggested there wasn't a gasket used. I cleaned and
checked the surfaces and they are relatively flat, within .005" or so.
What do you guys think about the no gasket used possibilty? I have a
friend that used to do heavy truck repairs. He says NAPA has an exhaust
sealer that is very tar like. He said they were able to seal some
exhaust leaks with it--used it where the flare of the pipe clamped to
the manifold. He also said some Chevrolets were put together with no
exhaust manifold gasket--I think this was figured out by mechanics, not
the factory. This is all new to me, Every exhaust I dealt with had a
gasket. What do you guys think?

John Hall