[AT] synthetic oil - gas versus diesel trucks

Scott Williams swillia5 at rochester.rr.com
Tue Nov 22 10:39:39 PST 2016

That would be "B10" biodiesel, a common mix, because most modern diesels can use it without modifications.  If you try to use B50 or B100 in cold weather, you can have problems with gelling.  Also, as mentioned, the bio cleans out deposits in the fuel system, so the first few tanks full can clog up filters as the sludge and dirt are flushed out of the tank and lines.

I had plans to modify a vehicle to run on pure waste veggie oil for a while, did lots of research, bought some parts, but never got it done.  The biggest problem with straight veg oil (used) is water content.  It can be difficult to truly dewater the oil, and any tiny water particles can erode away surfaces in the injection pump.  So it feels like you're doing fine, saving lots of money, then after 50k miles (or less) the pump gives out.

People set up elaborate systems, with settling tanks, sometimes solar-heated, for dewatering, some even use centrifuges (expensive but effective.)  A quick run through a filter will not do it.  The source of the veg also has a lot to do with the water content - tossing frozen foods into the fryer gives high water content.

Scott in Penfield NY