[AT] synthetic oil - gas versus diesel trucks

Easley, Greg A. EasleyG at health.missouri.edu
Mon Nov 21 06:30:40 PST 2016

In '09 I bought a '02 model Dodge 2500 4x4 with the 5.9 Cummins diesel.  At 201xxx miles the engine consumes less than half a pint of Rotella T during a 7000 mile change period.
I had to replace the water pump last summer, which is the only work that the engine has needed while I've owned the truck.  16+ mpg driving around, never less than 10 mpg
with a 24' stock trailer or a gooseneck loaded with tractors.

It's a shame that a powertrain like that had to wind up in a Dodge.  The list of things on the truck that I HAVEN'T had to fix or replace is short.  I've spent almost as much on
repairs as what I originally paid for the truck.  That said, I'm not making a $500+ monthly payment on a truck that cost more than my first house, which makes it a bit easier
to stomach when something breaks on the truck.

Greg