[AT] Synthetic Oil

Ken Knierim ken.knierim at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 17:54:07 PST 2016

Mike,
    It could be turbo temperatures but it could be cooling the engine
evenly. Some engines crack heads if shut down fast. Dad made us idle the
Minneapolis Moline G-705's 5 minutes before shutdown and they were
non-turbo. They had a reputation for cracking heads,and magnafluxing them
would show cracks on any that had been run according to some of the
mechanics.
We picked up some at a salvage yard that had been magnafluxed and removed
from service for cracking (off a G-1000) that we put on a Massey 97 (G-705
painted in Massey colors after the Massey factory had a fire, I believe).
The Massey had been bought for parts for the other G-705 because it had a
cracked head. It ran fine but took a little oil from one cylinder that they
used a compression ring when the (re-used) oil ring snapped on
reinstallation. It was a cheap and dirty overhaul that put a scrap tractor
back in service, Dad still has it but it's been sitting awhile.. "ran when
parked".

Ken in AZ (well, PA today)