[AT] OT LED question

Carl Gogol cgogol at twcny.rr.com
Thu Nov 3 07:09:49 PDT 2016

My experience with LED bulbs over the past 2+ years is as follows:
1- I have had no trouble/failures with LED bulbs from any source that "burn"
in the up or horizontal orientation.
2- I have considerable problems with bulbs that burn down that I have
purchased directly from China through a service called "DH Gate", losing 90%
within 2-4 months.  It appears to be a power supply heat issue and not the
light emitting chip.
3- DH Gate has sources that produce LED bulbs that are designed to burn in
the down orientation.  These too have proven reliable.  I assume that they
have a better power supply that is designed to accommodate the convected
heat from the bulb.
4- I have yet to lose a bulb that I have purchased on sale from Lowes or
Home Depot burning in any orientation.  $4-$5 is my limit on any bulb
purchase.  None of my applications are on continuously, but some may get 4-6
hours per day use.
5- LED lamps have 3 color ranges just like CFL lamps.
6- I don't have a clue if the advertised lumens per watt numbers are real.
My 67 year old eyes like more light so I have generally replaced
incandescent bulbs  with more advertised lumen LED bulbs.
YMMV
Carl