[AT] Cub problem

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Sat May 14 14:22:34 PDT 2016

Bo I had a similar problem several years ago.  At the time
I was doing some commercial bush hogging.  My tractor
would run fine at home.  I'd load it and drive as far as 40 miles
to a job site.  The tractor would run fine  until it warmed up then
it would spit and sputter and backfire for a while and then quit.
To make things even more complicated, pulling the choke partially
closed sometimes helped.  Sometimes I'd get the job finished, other
times I wouldn't.  One day I replaced everything in the ignition system
in the field.  New points, new plugs, new wires, new coil, condenser, rotor.
I was determined to fix it.  The parts cost more than the job I was doing
paid.
The tractor cranked and ran fine.... for a few minutes... then back to the
problem.

I pulled the carb off and went through it several times.  So you understand,
this went on
for several months, from the middle of one season and into the next.  I'd
use the tractor
around home and it was fine.  Get on a job and run it for an hour or so and
it got to where
it just wouldn't run. I had to quit in the middle of one job and never got
paid for about 5
acres I had mowed as I was embarrassed to ask for the money. The people had
to hire someone
else to finish the job after I made 3 or 4 trips to their place and could
never finish the work.

Finally, after I had replaced and rebuilt everything possible, by the
process of elimination I decided
to replace the wire from the coil to the points (the little wire).  That
fixed the problem.  It also blew
my mind so I set out to figure out why.  I soon realized that someone had
replaced that wire with a
piece of solid copper house wiring wire.  After I stripped all the
insulation off of it I found the problem.
The wire had work hardened and broken inside the insulation.  It was still
making contact ( I assume)
until it got hot and the gap between the broken ends widened.

Two years,  a few hundred dollars in parts,  a few hundred dollars in lost
revenue and another hundred or so
in fuel expense hauling the tractor back and forth and some lost business
and it was a 6" piece of wire.

Charlie