[AT] Tulare CA antique tractor show - belated recap and Farmall!

Grant Brians sales at heirloom-organic.com
Wed May 4 13:50:32 PDT 2016

Another belated reply thanks to too much work! Well, my youngest son and
I were at the show and auction and to his great glee, we were successful
bidders on several items. I was happy to meet Dean for the first time in
person and also was able to talk to several other good friends as well.
Richard Walker was enjoyable to talk to as always, and also John Boehm
from Woodland, who I need to pick up my D8 parts from still!
      Dean unsurprisingly had comments on some of the John Deere items
and he neglected to mention our farm's further Farmall progress (wrong
color? lol). We bought the beautiful Farmall 140 cultivating tractor
being sold by the Watsonville, CA Ag History Museum. It spent it's life
cultivating Strawberries prior to donation and my purchase of the
tractor. It had the old style T-bar cultivating bars on the front and
back that I fortunately have quite a few clamps for. The tractor only
has 3800 hours on it! My son did his first independent driving of a
tractor on this offset beauty.  This tractor joins a Farmall 240 and
three Farmall 100s - of those only two are not cultivating tractors.
The Farmalls are the "cute little tractors" of the fleet of useful farm
tractors we use on the farm....
      Also, we bought a "new" Clipper for seed cleaning that judging
from the markings and other details that is about 1900-1910 vintage. It
is hand crank! This is perfect for our on farm seed cleaning for the
immediate future. I have operated these years ago and am looking forward
to lots of use. I also purchased the Ventura Bean Planter that was
offered. This joins my other three! This one has been converted to
3-point use and has rubber drive wheels so it can transport on the back
of a tractor rather than on our equipment hauler. Those iron wheels are
not high speed road tires! I have told the story before of moving my
8x30 Ventura planter on the road at 3.5mph with the iron wheels and the
22' width - not speedy even to move the 4.5 miles between two locations.
       Back to packing seed and trying to get some machinery fixed and
collect money for some sold vegetables!
             Grant Brians - Hollister,California farmer of vegetables,
edible flowers, herbs, seeds, orchards