[AT] How Did We Get Here

Stephen Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 12:43:58 PDT 2016

Actually, there's a real answer to your question.  We got here with modern
engines made from much better materials, with much better manufacturing
processes, and much better lubrication.  There was a time, now decades in
the past, when engines would wear out and the corner garage could rebuild
for you.  They last FAR longer now, assuming decent maintenance, and engine
rebuilding at the corner garage is long gone.  These days, engines are
"remanufactured" in a factory setting, and either a short block or long
block is dropped in rather than rebuilding what's there.  So the demand for
Plastigage has dropped dramatically, to the point where people who you'd
think should know better have never even heard of it.

SO