[AT] Bad grease fitting

Greg Hass ghass at m3isp.com
Thu Mar 3 17:22:23 PST 2016

I'm glad you solved your problem but I will add a couple of things.
First, with fittings like you have I have seen two kinds; the most
common one only holds by about one and a half threads so if the threads
are at all bad they will come out. The other type which are harder to
find have quite long threads and will hold much better if you have the
room. Also a big problem in our area is metric fittings getting mixed up
with standard fittings. So close and yet so far away and can really mess
you up. Also mentioned was heating up a stubborn fitting. I have done
that a hundred times but 4 or 5 years ago  I did that and there was this
loud bang like a shotgun being fired. Scared the ______ out of me. Turns
out the fitting was really clogged and the grease in the fitting turned
into steam and blew the ball and spring out the end of the fitting as
well as blowing off the end of the fitting. Had I been in line with the
fitting I could have been killed. Just wasn't my time I guess. I still
heat fittings but I now make sure I am to the side if them and when I
put the grease gun on to see if it will take grease I make sure I am to
the side  and put the nozzle on without my hand being in direct line
with the fitting end. As always, be careful out their.
            Greg Hass