[AT] Haying pictures

toma at risingnet.net toma at risingnet.net
Sun Jun 26 13:10:23 PDT 2016

On Sun, 26 Jun 2016, John Hall wrote:

> Well thats something I have never seen or heard of--a crawler in a hay
> field! I bet making a left turn with the sickle mower is no fun!

Everyone around here used crawlers, the hills are too steep for wheel
tractors. There was one family that used D4's for cutting and raking. They
are mostly dead or gone now. Not too many of us making hay any more. The
Open Space is taking over most of the hills and letting it all grow up to
brush.

A sweeping left turn is no problem but in a sharp turn the bar is moving
too fast for the knife. Ideally at a corner you stop and lift the knife
and back up a quarter turn. My lifting mechanisim was not working so I
had to whip around right turns and hope it did not plug up. There were
spots with a lot of grass and I had to run in first gear to avoid plugging
up. I need a new ledger plate in the inner show, maybe next year.