[AT] Older Tractor Question

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Fri Jan 29 03:53:58 PST 2016

ATIS wrote:
> There is a pump that controls the power steering and I am pretty sure
> the brakes on these tractors too. As these pumps wear out it will
> lose their prime when the tractor sits. This will create symptoms
> like what you describe.   I can't remember the name of it. Something
> like MCH or MCV pump or something like that.
>
> That vintage of IH tractor is fairly popular in this area and this is
> a problem I have heard of before.
>
> PS:  There is a way to crack a plug or hose open and speed up the
> amount of time it takes to prime. But I must admit I've never watched
> this closely. I couldn't even begin to describe the process.
>
> Spencer Yost
>
>> On Jan 28, 2016, at 11:10 PM, Greg Hass <ghass at m3isp.com> wrote:
>>
>> This concerns an IH 1066, actually 3 that I know of. For those not
>>  familiar, they are about 45 years old and 125 factory hp. All
>> three have the same problem; in cold weather after starting you
>> have no steering for from 5 minutes to an hour after starting. One
>> my brother owns, it was bought new by my dad, the other two a
>> cousin has, both bought used. All have had filters changed and new
>> oil. One of my cousins was even taken to the dealer but no help.
>> One thing they all have in common is that all three worked fine
>> until a ways past 5000 hours. When I was still home we hauled
>> manure with our 1066. It was started in all kinds of weather and
>> the steering always worked right away. Neither my brother nor I
>> have cattle any more but if he needs it for something it requires a
>> half hour or so warm up. One of my cousins was used on a feed wagon
>>  and they tried a magnetic heater on the side of the transmission,
>> but in zero weather even that wouldn't work. Does anyone know what
>> the problem could be or know an old IH mechanic who might have an
>> idea. Remember the catch phrase is that they all worked fine until
>> over 5000 hours. Thanks for any help. Greg Hass

Found this -

First try changing your hyd. filter and see what the oil looks like.
Then you can try a hyd hose with 2 male ends hooked to one outlet so it
just pumps oil thru the hose, sometimes that will get it to prime. Next
there is a plug that points towards the back of the tractor on the mcv
valve which is right behind the left hand step. Take that plug out with
the tractor off and then turn it over and be ready to put it back in,
because when and if it primes it will pump a lot of oil out. If that
fails and you can find the right fitting plumb a hyd hose end so you can
screw it into the hole the aforementioned plug came out of. Then hook
this hose to an outlet and push or pull the lever so it pumps oil into
the mcv valve. If all this fails to prime the mcv pump then pull off the
mcv valve and see if the gear that drives it falls off like mine did.
Either that or your mcv pump has failed. Also running the tractor 5
gallons over full of hytran won't hurt anything and sometimes will
prevent this problem from happening. There is an o-ring that some times
fails and lets the pump suck air and lose prime, overfilling will put
that area in the oil and not in the air.

and -

Your mcv pump lost prime most likely. On the rear of the valve towards
bottom there is a plug that a 5/8 wrench fits, only one that size, take
it out , start tractor and be ready to shut it off FAST as soon as oil
squirts out , put plug back in and away she goes , if that does the
trick that pump is getting weak, if it wont work see if pto will run ,
if not ipto shaft splines gave up , time to split it.

and -

Run a hose from the test port on the back of the MCV valve, to the
transmission filler tube, it takes a #5 JIC male fitting, adding 5
gallons of Hy Tran helps, not quite as messy this way.

--
Steve W.