[AT] Clearing scrub brush

Brian VanDragt bvandragt at comcast.net
Mon Jan 25 21:41:48 PST 2016

It is a 1965 4020 Diesel, powershift Hicrop.  An acquaintance of my dad's
had just become an investor in a farm about 30 miles away.  He knew we were
John Deere collectors so he showed dad a picture of it and asked if we were
interested.  We were, so he put us in touch with the farm's manager to make
the deal.  We went to look at it and they told us that the transmission
wasn't working.  They started it and it was able to creep along a little.
They had changed the hydraulic filters recently and left the pump intake
screen laying on the tractor after replacing it with a new one.  The screen
was plugged up with what looked like dandelion fuzz.  We didn't make a deal
that day but dad called our dealer and told them what we saw.  They
immediately said the brakes were shot.  The transmission and hydraulics
share the same oil and the wet brakes are connected to the transmission
also.  The old style brake pads would disintegrate and plug up the filters
and starve the hydraulic system which is needed to engage the clutches in
the powershift transmission.  We called up the farm and made a deal, paying
only what we thought it would be worth if we had to do a total transmission
rebuild.  New brake pads fixed it though.  Green Magazine published a book
of all of the New Generation Hicrop serial numbers with build dates and
shipping destinations.  Ours is the only 4020 Hicrop to be sold in Michigan
when they were new.  We bought it from the original farm and are the second
owners.  More pics here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/aopi2nbckswp7wx/AAAhh7J6n-oEUH93XGLXk1Ila?dl=0

Brian