[AT] What to do

Bill Brueck b2 at chooka.net
Sun Jan 10 12:37:15 PST 2016

I've had a skid steer for almost 30 years now and quickly concluded that if
I could only have one tractor on the acreage, it would be a skid steer.  So
versatile.

I got by on the cheap, but indeed have paid for it with labor to keep it
running.  What I know now about the unit, I would have passed on that one
and kept looking for a better one.  And said labor not always at a
convenient time.  Mine is a small unit, Gehl 2500, 2 cylinder opposed Onan
engine.  What appear to be good units show up regularly around here on
Craigs List, $1000 - $2500 range.  Parts loaders of that model are real
cheap, I've bought a couple of those and have more than enuf to build up
another loader, but the finished working machine doesn't bring enough to
motivate that effort over other projects for me.

Mine has the pallet forks on it most of the time, although in snow season I
keep the bucket on it.

Tearing up turf is of concern, although I've learned that with a rain and a
couple of weeks of growing and you can't even find the scuffed up spots.
The worst time is those few weeks in the spring when the ground hasn't
firmed up yet.