[AT] Torch kit

Richard Walker richardwalker at pobox.com
Tue Feb 16 13:57:05 PST 2016

> So by the time I get all this equipment I'll be looking at about $1000
> bill; to rich for my blood. I'll start keeping my eyes open for a used
> set.

Be very aware that if you buy a used set from a private party or at
auction, the refill/exchange status of the tanks might be a major issue,
as others have mentioned.  For example an unsuspecting buyer could take
a used tank to be exchanged/refilled and the welding supply house
refuse.  Or, worse, legally confiscate that tank because its number
referenced it as leased and not customer owned.

It's always been a gray area about tanks. Non-uniform rules seem to
apply depending in what area of the country you live, between company to
company, store to store, and even who you deal with at the counter.
Unfortunately the big companies like PraxAire and AirGas are rapidly
buying up independent dealers, manipulating tank policies to maximize
their profits, and things are not getting any better.

If you're considering buying from a private party, see if the seller
would allow you to take photos of the tank necks where the serial
number, lease number (if any) and hydrotest date are stamped.  Or at
least write down that info.  Inquire at your local welding supply
house(s) to make sure the bottles can be exchanged or refilled.

If a used torch set is being sold at an auction, sometimes the
auctioneer will state that only the items of welding equipment are being
sold, and the tanks will be given to the buyer at no charge.  This
absolves the auction company of any legal liability in case title to the
tanks turns out to be a problem.

I had a 120 CF nitrogen cylinder lying around for many years that
originally came off a foam fire fighting apparatus I'd bought cheap at
auction mainly to salvage its two hose reels and hoses. I had long
wanted to get the tank refilled with Argon mix for MIG welding, but knew
I'd have problems so never bothered - not customer/owned; obsolete
valve; years out of hydro-test date.  When a friend was about to buy a
plasma cutter from the local AirGas dealer, I asked to tag along with
the tank.  After some initial head shaking by the counter guy, I figured
I was sunk.  But when my friend started paying for his plasma cutter the
guy tipped me a wink, brought back an exchange cylinder of Argon mix,
said he was going to stick my tank on the pallet of empties going back
to the main plant, and I only had to pay $35 exchange price for the gas
contents.

-  Richard