[AT] Torch kit

Richard Walker richardwalker at pobox.com
Sat Feb 13 17:22:29 PST 2016

Do you want the outfit just for cutting and heating?  Then using
oxy-propane is FAR more economical than oxy-acetylene.  Acetylene
prices, and to a lesser extent oxygen, are astronomical these days
compared to what they were thirty years ago.  The downside is
oxy-propane is not hot enough to weld with.

Any oxy-acet rig can be converted to oxy-propane by swapping cutting
tips; getting an adapter so you can hook up to a 5-gallon barbecue tank
or forklift tank; and maybe also going to new hoses, although a lot of
guys retain their old ones.  Sounds like you intend buying new from a
dealer, so you could have it set up for propane at time of purchase.

As an aside, I switched from oxy-acet cutting to a plasma torch ten
years ago.  Big initial outlay, but very economical to use.

And last, for anyone thinking of also using a gas rig for welding, be
advised this is prohibitively costly, unless you're only welding thin
sheet metal.   Arc (either stick or MIG) is way cheaper and much faster,
producing higher quality welds.

-  Richard