[AT] OT - Refurbished computers

Scott Williams swillia5 at rochester.rr.com
Tue Dec 27 22:58:41 PST 2016

For many years I've been buying off-lease refurb (and non-refurb used)
laptops.  The "business class" machines that get leased out (by Lenovo, HP,
and Dell, mostly) are built sturdier, and in greater numbers, and when they
go off-lease, the market is flooded, so prices are good, as long as the
power of a 3-year-old machine works for you (and you're not getting
something for the teens to play the latest games on.)  I have been a Dell
guy but recently have had some failures that have me looking around for
other options, so I may take a look at Lenovo or HP.  I'm afraid that Lenovo
will be harder to work on (they do pack a LOT into a very tiny space.)  My
success rate for laptop repairs started out poor, and has dropped as the
years pass.  Now I can buy a new motherboard, and when installed, the
machine just won't boot, and I can't say if it's the board I bought or
something I did.  Just not worth trying anymore.  Replacing a broken screen
or keyboard are about my speed now.

I've had great luck buying off eBay, both new and refurb.  My boss was
looking for a laptop for me, I first pointed him to the Dell outlet site,
but then I found a brand new machine on eBay, wholesaled out from the Dell
Outlet, for less than I could get it from Dell.

I guess I'll go see what the main models of Lenovo lease machines are out
there, and get familiar with them.  I'm well acquainted with the Dell
Latitude line, as well as some of the Precision machines.

Some of the new laptops will let you have two drives, one "regular size"
drive and one an M.2 "stick".  This means that you can boot off of a speedy
512GB SSD, but have a 2TB platter drive for the big data needs (or video,
whatever.)  I thought I was getting that in an "outlet" laptop I got from my
boss, but when it showed up, it had the bigger battery in it, which takes up
the space for the hard drive inside the machine.  So I had to buy a 1TB SSD
"stick" (and the 256GB "stick" it came with is inside a SATA enclosure now,
waiting to be used in something.)

My wife has always used PCs, but wanted to try a MacBook, because of her
love for her iPhone and iPad.  So she bought a refurb from a family friend,
and after a couple months trial (bought it for $350, it's not the latest but
was upgraded with SSD and max RAM) she has decided she doesn't want to deal
with Mac, she hates the single mouse button/touchpad button.  Just endlessly
frustrated with it, irreconcilable differences, so to speak.  So I'll find
an off-lease laptop for her with an i5 processor, put in an SSD to help it
with speed, and she'll be ready to go.  I'll probably spend around $200 (not
including the 256GB SSD I already have sitting here.)

Scott in Penfield NY