[AT] Speaking of Stuck

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Sat Dec 17 07:19:40 PST 2016

In the late 60's as I recall I was at my uncle's house when the single axle
fuel oil
truck came to fill his furnace oil.  There had been a light snow with some
sleet
and it was lying on top of the frozen ground.  The oil truck wasn't stuck it
was just
sitting on the ice and spinning it's wheels.  We went over to the
neighboring farm
because that guy had bigger tractors.  He came to pull it out with a brand
spanking
new Allis Chalmers D-19 that he was understandably proud of.   The man
driving the
fuel truck with no disrespect intended said "do you recon that thing can
pull me out?".
Well, Mr. Bland to offense anyway and in a tone not characteristic to the
typically mild
mannered fellow he was he replied "if that chain is long enough for me to
get my back
wheels out there on that highway (which was dry) I'll pull PART OF IT out."

As it turned out he pulled him out sitting on the snow covered ground
without even bumping the
governor.  Thanks for causing me to recall that fine memory.

Charlie