[AT] Tractors and other stuff...

John Hall jtchall at nc.rr.com
Tue Dec 13 15:33:31 PST 2016

Old tractors do well sitting outside for decades, providing its not
under a tree. The other stuff, where the sheet metal is a MAJOR
component, doesn't fair well at all. I think that last recession really
cleaned up a lot the last horse drawn and 40's-60's era equipment that
got left outside. I can still find newer stuff, and even some fairly old
stuff, if you know where to look. But it is a lot harder and most of
what you find ain't worth the effort of hauling it home. My focus has
changed from getting more old iron to thinning the herd of anything that
isn't restored or that we have sentimental value.

I had several pcs of horse drawn stuff that was "lawn ornament" quality.
I sold a 2 row corn planter, dump hay rake,sickle mower,and stalk cutter
all for yard ornaments during the last recession (believe it or not).
None of it was restorable and anything useable I robbed off of it.

     We gave away a pull type Allis combine 20 years ago that was
running but the belts were shot. About 3 years ago I gave a buddy our
Deere 30 pull type combine with 4 cyl engine. He had borrowed it a
couple times to cut 1/2 acre of wheat his son-in-law used to feed
chickens. The last time I told him to keep it, we needed the shed space.
It was field ready to cut 10-20 acres on a moments notice--I was using
it till I got my 55, then it was the backup till I got my 3300. Heck I
even had it on my insurance policy!

Dad and I actually rebuilt and sold two IH #7 mowers. One was for use
behind draft horses, the other was going to be a yard ornament--it had a
lot of new parts to go sit out in the rain but hey, the guy paid my price.

This spring I sold my second operating Oliver Superior grain drill. I
bought it 15 years ago, planted 100 or so acres with it, then sold it
for 4x's what I paid for it. I sold my first Oliver drill 7 or 8 years
ago to a fellow wanting to raise barley for his buddy's brewery. He
didn't even own a tractor and his buddy's brewery didn't exist yet, but
his cash was green and the trailer was big enough to haul it!

John Hall