[AT] Tractors and other stuff...

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Tue Dec 13 20:51:26 PST 2016

On 12/13/2016 5:33 PM, John Hall wrote:
> Old tractors do well sitting outside for decades, providing its not
> under a tree. The other stuff, where the sheet metal is a MAJOR
> component, doesn't fair well at all. I think that last recession really
> cleaned up a lot the last horse drawn and 40's-60's era equipment that
> got left outside. I can still find newer stuff, and even some fairly old
> stuff, if you know where to look. But it is a lot harder and most of
> what you find ain't worth the effort of hauling it home. My focus has
> changed from getting more old iron to thinning the herd of anything that
> isn't restored or that we have sentimental value.
I posted a pic of my grandfather's Red River Special thresher a few days
ago but I guess the
list rejected it. I have that one and my other grandfather's Huber
thresher. They survive the
outdoor storage pretty well having steel wheels and mostly galvanized
sheet metal. The wooden
elevator on the RRS is rotted away. I have it set up on the hill in the
pasture as a "lawn
ornament". The Huber is over beside the stone cairn on my grandfather's
homestead.
You can  see it on google street view.

Ralph in Sask.