[AT] 6 to 12 volt starter conversion--splitting tricycles

Howard Weeks weeksh at att.net
Tue Dec 13 12:38:17 PST 2016

The largest tractor that I have split was a Super M Farmall and most of
the other smaller ones. I build a wood frame out of 2x6 lumber and bolt
it to the back of the block on each side. On the ground end is another
2x6 about 5' long that supports both vertical members. Then I add
diagonal braces of the same material on each side (front and back of the
frame). Use deck screws to assemble. These braces stop any tendency to
rack to the left or right in the frame. They work well on a dirt floor.
I also try not to move them while separated from the rear of the
tractor. If something has to move, I move the rear end on a floor jack.
A sheet of old plywood or OSB on the ground provides a smooth foundation
for the floor jack to move on.

I also pick up about 3-4 bolts of the size needed to bolt the front to
the back and about 6 to 8 inches long with continuous threads. They are
life savers when you go to match the two ends back up.

I keep the frames and reuse them.

Howard in GA