[AT] 6 to 12 volt starter conversion--splitting tricycles

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Mon Dec 12 16:58:46 PST 2016

A Tricycle is a dangerous pain in the ass to split.  That said, I have
don several.  No 2 alike.  I used an 8 ft  I beam mounted to the front
of an old WD allis and welded legs on the ends and used wood blocks w/ 2
tapered shims under the legs.   Then I built a small a frame hoist to
use at the flywheel end to raise the engine with a 2 ton come along.  I
used a rolling floor jack on the back end.  When I worked at the tractor
shop, we always rolled the rear end back and left the front stationary.
I made several sets of tapered shims out of old oak pallets on the table
saw and they were used almost daily.

Cecil in OKla