[AT] EcoDiesel update

Dennis Johnson moscowengnr at outlook.com
Wed Aug 31 11:38:48 PDT 2016

All,

Steve, thanks for the Banks link. It had some good information.

Ram uses the Euro ESP formula full synthetic oil (think it is formulated from natural gas or something similar). Mobil One ESP at $12.99 a liter, 11 liters per oil change is what I used since I started changing its myself. It only has been available at local auto parts store this year. Before that dealer did all oil changes since that was the only place to get it readily. Still have to buy filter from dealer. I might be able to plan ahead and find on Internet, but I have not got there yet.

Stock Ram did not have any temp readout, so until yesterday I did not have a clue about what the temperatures were running. I have heard somewhere that the EcoDiesels  run a bit hotter at the turbo that some other engines, and with just a few miles after the EDGE gauge system, I did not have a clue what any of the temperatures were running. With 320 F idle temp, not sure that I will be able to get under 300 F before shutdown. That is why I was wanting some idea of normal temperatures for this engine.

I have 2 old pre/post lube systems I purchased for by Buick GN, and never got it installed before I parked/stored the GN waiting for time and funds to rebuild it. Might be the time to look at adding this, or something like it. I like the accumulator idea better, and have thought of that with a simple check valve and orifice as a simpler method to do post lube. With that you do not need to drill the oil pan and run extra lines and electric motors, and you get much of the benefit.

After some sleep and fresh coffee, I got to thinking that excess oil may have been what cause the DPF to plug and not regen to open up. My oil level is very low and it probably went into the DPF.
I believe that the new DPF, Cat's, DEF systems as well as the Ultra high injection pressures on the newer diesels still are in there infancy, and are having issues across the board. My brother is warranty administrator for a John Deere dealer group, and they have issues with these systems on tractors. Before retirement, these items were causing serious problems on the Peterbilt/Cat oilfield trucks in the oil patch for Schlumberger and others. My son drives for a crane company and these systems cause issues on the newer Mack trucks they have. Friends with recent 6.0 Fords have short life on injections systems. Neighbor is service writer for BMW dealership and told about similar emission parts failure issues on vehicles he sees (even when gas engines).
Reminds me of the 1973 auto engines - probably one of the worse years for engines because new regulations came into place and the manufacturers had not yet fine tuned the solutions. Car's of that year had much higher issues than the 1972's because of technology in it's infancy.
With most any new technology, the first users end up paying more for the learning curve with the new technology. The benefit is they get to have the benefits of this technology sooner. Age old question is when is the best time to jump on the new technology.

Thanks
Dennis

Sent from my iPad