[AT] EcoDiesel update

Stephen Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 08:20:49 PDT 2016

I'm going to make a few comments that Dennis certainly knows already.
Perhaps not everyone on the list knows this stuff however.

DPF is the Diesel Particulate Filter.  Traps particulates, aka soot; in
other words, the stuff we see and smell out of old-school diesels.  The
soot is reburned down to a very fine ash (called the DPF regen cycle) and
that ash remains inside the DPF.  After a while, it will fill up with ash,
and require some kind of service.  Either the whole unit is opened up and
cleaned out, or it is replaced.  Not sure how Ram handles this.  I'm
wondering what Dennis means by "rebuilt" exhaust.  (I could make a pretty
good guess, but, I'm not passing any kind of judgement here).

As for exhaust temperatures, I'm certainly not going to argue that letting
it cool down below some value such as 300F is a good idea.  But I wonder
what Ram has to say about this, if anything, in the owner's manual.  Same
issue with recommended oil.  People mention synthetic (whatever that means)
and yes, certainly, a high-quality high-temperature-resistant oil is a
great idea.  Again, what did Ram have to say about this in the owner's
manual?

These engines are very expensive, and Ram most certainly doesn't want
warranty headaches.  Anything they can possibly do from an
engineering/engine-control standpoint to avoid warranty issues and extend
engine life, would not "expire" along with the warranty.

SO