[AT] EcoDiesel update

Ken Knierim ken.knierim at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 07:28:09 PDT 2016

If the turbo is "coking" from being hot at shutdown (it roasts the oil
still in the turbo) putting synthetic oil is recommended as Rob pointed
out. Synthetics (if they are truly synthetic; that definition is open to
interpretation/marketing) tend to have a higher breakdown temp.

Idling the engine down after running is standard practice for heavy
equipment (Dad beat that into me as a young lad) and I do that with my 12V
Cummins/Dodge. Some days it'll be pretty hot outside but idling it down
until the pyrometer shows 300-350 has worked for me. Smaller, higher
stressed engines will likely benefit as well if not more and will likely
cool faster than that oversized Holset on the Cummins.

Ken in AZ