[AT] Modern Gasoline

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Sun Aug 21 07:48:13 PDT 2016

On 8/20/2016 2:34 PM, Stephen Offiler wrote:
> I just pulled out my power washer and realized it has not been run since
> March 2015.  Half a tank of fuel still sloshing around.  On the upside, I
> am always careful to turn off the gas and run the carb dry.  I am also
> careful to add Sta-Bil as soon as I purchase gas.  We have ethanol in our
> gas around here like in most places in the USA.
>
> It started on the first pull.  Literally.
>
> Engine is a 9HP Honda GX270 (I think).  I suppose there might be qualities
> of the engine (strong spark, strong fuel vaporization in the carb,
> whatever...) that help it run on crappy old gas.  Or something.  I'm still
> shaking my head in amazement.
>
> SO

I've got a 30 year old Briggs and Stratton 3 hp on a water pump that
never fails to impress me. I put it away in fall with whatever gas
is left in the tank. Yet it starts right up next spring and all through
the summer. Two, sometimes three pulls and it runs perfect.
I think we have better gas here in Canada, less ethanol maybe. I'm still
running a 40+ year old fuel pump on the 52 Mercury but
I did have to replace the rusted out fuel tank.
Jonsered string trimmer I bought new in the late nineties is still all
original and although sometimes takes a few extra pulls to start, has
never failed. Sometimes I remember to drain the tank when finished, not
always. I may throw in a bit of fuel stabilizer sometimes but
its not a regular practice for me.
Yes, those Honda engines are great starters too.

Ralph in Sask.